One of the most important factors to consider when using SmartBench is ensuring your extraction system is suitable for the level of work you are undertaking.
SmartBench features a 38mm hose, which is suitable for the majority of tasks but some guidelines need to be followed for this to work correctly.
- Ensure your extraction system is in full working order.
- Clean filters regularly.
- If you have a bagged extraction system, ensure the bag has sufficient room for the job.
- The length of the extraction hose can affect performance and the amount of suction. It is important to reduce the length of the hose as much as possible.
- Ensure you are using the correct cutter for the job.
- Ensure your cutter is sharp. A blunt cutter can result in burs or strands which can sometimes block the dust shoe or extraction hose.
- Ensure the correct toolpath strategy is used. Often, an incorrect toolpath can affect the size of the chips you are creating.
SmartBench was created on the premise of being a portable and storable CNC machine, which works with smaller extraction systems in order to make transport easy.
Although SmartBench includes a dust shoe and built in extraction hose, sometimes you may want to use a different solution.
We designed SmartBench to be a flexible and open platform and welcome users to modify and change their system to suit their needs, which may include designing your own dust shoe to cater for better air flow or simply running a larger extraction system which can accommodate a larger hose diameter.
We recommend that correct earthing is used for your extraction system that will allow static to correctly discharge.
If you are using an external extraction hose (running the hose outside of SmartBench) then we would recommend that you earth the hose itself to a suitable place on the Z head.