Y Axis Calibration Check
Watch the video below and then look through our step by step instructions
1. Pre-calibration check - Rigid axis (wheels set and pinions engaged)
Determine the "actual movement"
2. Use manual move commands to position the head approx 100 mm away from home position, to place the first mark (see video above).
3. Make your first mark (see video above)
4. Go to GCode monitor in the settings screen
5. Type the following commands to move the x axis 2000 mm, pressing enter after each command:
||Sets machine into relative positioning mode. Default is absolute positioning mode (G90), however we want to be in relative mode to ask for a move relative to where we have made our first mark.
||Rapid move in the Y axis, +2000mm
6. Make second mark (see video above). Measure between marks (see video above), and note this value as “Y1” - to be used in later calculations.
Note the existing steps per mm
7. Note the existing steps per mm, by pressing “Settings”...
… and scrolling to the $101= value.
8. Note this value as “Y2” - to be used in later calculations.
Calculate new steps per mm
9. Use the following data in the calculator below to calculate your new steps per mm
Requested mm: 2000
Actual mm: Y1 as measured in steps 3 - 6
Existing steps per mm: Y2 as obtained in step 8
Update SmartBench with new steps per mm
10. Type the following commands to set the new value, pressing enter after each command:
|$101 = Y3 (where Y3 is the value calculated from the previous step)
||E.g. $101 = 56.731 Sets machine’s parameter as steps per mm for the Y axis
Press “Settings” again and check that the new value for the parameter was successfully updated.
11. Power cycle SmartBench.
12. Repeat the marking and measuring procedure to ensure that the calibration was successful.